Why Are Antioxidants Important to Immune Function?
Your immune system has two main responsibilities. While you’re awake, it defends your body against the bombardment of free radicals from the air we breathe, the water we drink and the food we eat. At night, the immune system switches to repair mode, which is the only reason we sleep.
Contrary to how they may sound, free radicals are in fact, not a revolutionary political party. Free radicals are unstable molecules, formed when atoms or molecules gain or lose electrons, that can damage the cells in your body. Long term exposure to free radical damage can lead to various health issues including accelerated aging, cell degeneration, and cancer.
The good news is, you can get defensive with your own free radical fighting arsenal. Zuma Nutrition’s Free Radical Defense Formula contains a broad spectrum of antioxidants. These nutrients act to protect us against this daily bombardment of chemicals, pollution, viruses, and bacteria which can greatly strain the immune system.
Each nutrient in the complex serves a key role:
- Beta-carotene: Helps prevent tissues and DNA damage and can be found in carrots.
- Glutathione: Detoxifies free radicals and toxic oxygen radicals, and is part of every cell of our bodies, especially the liver.
- Methionine: Detoxifies harmful agents, neutralizes allergic chemical reaction and stops fatty acid peroxidation, which would otherwise result in cell damage.
- L-Cysteine: Detoxifies harmful toxins and protects cells.
- Vitamin C: Helps detoxify inhaled air pollutants such as free radicals from car exhaust and cigarette smoke.
- Alpha-tocopherol acetate: Builds and protects cell membrane.
- Zinc picolinate: A stable Vitamin E compound, which acts as a cell stabilizer.
- Selenium: Works in tandem with glutathione, vitamin E and L-Cysteine.
- N Dimethylglycine: Blocks ultraviolet light radiation and helps with oxygen absorption to the cells.
These powerful ingredients work in synergy in the Zuma Nutrition Free Radical Defense Formula to help improve your immune system and may help slow down the aging process in your body.
To get the most out of this complex, take it first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach, with a simple sugar molecule such as a glass of non-acid juice (apple, papaya, carrot, spinach). Through the help of sugar molecules, these antioxidants will be able to enter your bloodstream quickly and effectively, feeding your immune system the fuel it needs daily to combat free radicals.