Liver Detox one of the key formulas in our Detox Collection
The liver is your body’s largest internal organ. It is responsible for more than 500 different functions in the body. One of these functions is detoxification and neutralizing toxins. The liver helps filter and detoxify the materials that are not meant to be in our body, and helps to safely neutralize them and remove them from the blood. Unfortunately, the liver can become overloaded if it is stressed, overworked, and exposed to too many toxins, leading to impaired liver function. One of the first jobs that the liver stops performing optimally is lipid metabolism which leads to cholesterol problems and cardiovascular issues, this is why our team often say when people say they have cholesterol problems, you also may have a liver problem.
The average American living today is walking around with only 50-60% of their optimal liver function. The side effects of poor liver function are endless and can include high blood pressure/high cholesterol, low energy, poor metabolism, skin issues, and excess weight gain among other ailments. Virtually everything your body digests has to be filtered and passed through the liver, so supporting the detoxification and health of your liver is crucial to vitality and long-term health.
How to Detox Your Liver
Step 1: Avoid Toxic Substances
Obviously, before learning how to detox liver, we need to stop toxifying it in the first place. Be mindful of what you consume and eliminate any sources of toxicity. This includes processed foods or foods grown with pesticides, heavy metals like aluminum in deodorant or cooking ware, toxic fillers and chemicals in hygiene and beauty products, polluted air or drinking water, and so on. Read the ingredients of everything you put in or on your body, and do not consume it if it contains toxic chemicals. The first step in detoxification is to give the body a break so it can process its current toxic load. So, what are the best liver detox foods and tips you need?
Step 2: Drink Plenty of Water
Water is needed for virtually all of the body’s functions. Drinking adequate amounts of pure water will help the body flush built up toxins. While cleansing, aim to consume around a gallon a day if possible.
Step 3: Consume Whole Foods and Foods That Detoxify the Liver
Eat whole, nutrient dense foods that will nourish your body as you cleanse. The body has certain nutritional requirements. Ensuring that you meet these nutritional requirements will help the body perform most effectively. You can also focus on including foods that help to detoxify the liver in your diet. Some foods that particularly help to detoxify the liver are:
- Avocados, tomatoes and spinach—which contain glutathione, a substance that protect cells against oxidation, and helps to detoxify the body from heavy metals.
- Carrots and beets—which also contain glutathione and are rich in flavonoids and beta-carotene that help the liver to regenerate and perform its purification role.
- Asparagus—which has diuretic properties that help the cleansing process by activating the functions of the liver and kidneys that eliminate the toxins.
- Green leafy veggies—which are rich in chlorophyll, an assimilative pigment that is capable of absorbing toxins from the environment and purifying blood from heavy metals.
- Cruciferous veggies like broccoli and cauliflower—which increase the production of glucosinolate enzymes in the body, helping to eliminate carcinogens and other toxins.
- Apples—which are rich in pectin, facilitate the process of cleansing the liver.
- Citrus—another source of glutathione that is rich in vitamin C and antioxidants. They stimulate the production of liver and bile detoxification enzymes and improve the process of cleansing the liver.
Step 4: Exercise
One of the natural liver detox techniques is actually working out. Exercise is an important component to a healthy lifestyle, and it is also supportive of detoxification. Exercise can kickstart the natural detoxification process as it flushes out the lungs, and cleanses the skin as we work up a sweat. It also increases blood flow promoting better circulation to pump white blood cells through the body and help organs cleanse themselves effectively.
Step 5: Sleep
Ensuring that you get adequate rest is essential for all body functions, and is especially supportive during a detox. During sleep, our body is focused on restoration and regeneration. When we are not actively engaged in waking life, the body has a chance to focus exclusively on repairing and rebuilding itself. Sleep affects almost every tissue in our bodies. It affects growth and stress hormones, our immune system, appetite, breathing, blood pressure and cardiovascular health. Make sure you are getting enough sleep so your body can heal effectively.
Step 6: Zuma Nutrition Liver Detox Tincture
The Zuma Nutrition Liver Detox tincture was created to support and enhance liver health and function through the therapeutic dosage of key herbs including the following.
- Olive Leaf: Olive leaf is powerful for cardiovascular and immune system support, an increase in energy and promoting healthy blood pressure.
- Agrimony: Agrimony’s active ingredients, such as Thiamin, Quercitrin, and Catechins, have been directly linked to liver and gallbladder health. By optimizing the function of the liver and gallbladder, the body can more easily eliminate toxins, thereby promoting overall metabolic efficiency.
- Milk Thistle: Milk thistle is most well-known for being a natural liver supporter and detoxifier. It’s regularly used as a complementary therapy by people who have liver damage due to conditions like alcoholic liver disease, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, hepatitis and even liver cancer. It’s also used to protect the liver against toxins like amatoxin, which is produced by the death cap mushroom and is deadly if ingested.
- Chamomile: Chamomile has specific anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, muscle relaxant, antispasmodic, anti-allergenic and sedative properties.
- Red Rooibos: Rooibos tea acts as a scavenger to free radicals throughout the body, which are detrimental byproducts of cell metabolism.
- Burdock Root: Burdock Root prevents cellular mutation by blocking dangerous chemicals from causing damage to cells.
- Pau d’ Arco: Research suggests that pau d’arco extract has antibacterial and antifungal properties. As a supplement, it’s marketed to reduce inflammation and promote weight loss.
Together, these herbs have a synergistic effect and function as a potent and effective liver detoxification formula. All of the herbs used in our formula are either biodynamic, organic, or wildcrafted, and are always sustainably sourced. When it comes to choosing herbal medicines for detoxification, or for any purpose really, you want to be sure that the herbs do not contain pesticides or other toxins that will only add to the body’s toxic load. We pride ourselves on using only the purest ingredients, and formulating the most potent herbal blends possible with our team of experienced herbalists.
Step 7: Cleanse the Colon
As you detoxify the liver, it will release toxins and heavy metals into the colon to be eliminated. It is recommended to cleanse the colon with ground chia seeds and our Fulvic Acid & Trace Minerals tonic to ensure that these toxins are eliminated from the body after being released by the liver. Fulvic acid acts as an amazing chelator of heavy metals that binds to toxins so they don’t get reabsorbed in the body, while ground chia seeds are high in fiber and also contain Omega 3 fatty acids that reduce inflammation in the colon and remove the built-up toxins. Together, fulvic acid and chia seeds draw toxins out of the body to be eliminated. Consume a daily mixture of 1 tablespoon of ground chia seeds and 1 dropper full of the Fulvic Acid & Trace Minerals tonic in water to support elimination of toxins released by the liver.
To find all of our Detoxification formulas in one place, check out our Detox Collection page here.
Duration of the Liver Cleanse
Exactly how long one needs to cleanse depends upon their individual body’s health and their toxic load. Generally, a month is a sufficient amount of time for an effective cleanse, especially when one is utilizing the detoxifying herbs used in our Liver Detox tincture. Combining our liver detox formula with healthy fruits and vegetables, exercise, and avoiding the consumption of toxic foods and chemicals, leads to a truly effective detoxification of the liver, supporting it in its job of protecting the body, and ensuring that it is able to continue performing its more than 500 functions at optimal capacity.