DIY Bug Spray
The great outdoors is a place of beauty, restoration, and adventure—but it can also be a place with swarms of bugs that quickly ruin our fun. Thankfully, there are ways we can ward off these pesky bugs, and we don’t have to resort to toxic bug sprays loaded with harmful chemicals.
This article will discuss the best natural bug spray you can make yourself at home. Bring this DIY bug spray with you on camping trips, hiking expeditions, or even to have around when you’re enjoying an evening on your back porch.
This recipe for natural bug spray includes a base of water and white vinegar, with several additional essential oils known to repel insects. You can follow our all-natural bug spray recipe or adapt the recipe to make your own DIY bug spray with essential oils. Many essential oils have insect-repelling properties, but the ones in this recipe are our favorite.
DIY Essential Oil Bug Spray
- Purified Water
- Organic Distilled White Vinegar
- Organic Peppermint Essential Oil
- Organic Citronella Essential Oil
- Organic Lemon Essential Oil
- Organic Oregano Essential Oil
- Organic Cedar Essential Oil
How to Make:
First, you need to get a spray bottle to combine the ingredients. It is recommended to get one that is between 8-12 oz. You can use an old one that you may have or purchase a new one.
Next, fill half of the spray bottle container with purified water.
Then, add the organic distilled white vinegar until the bottle is just over 3/4 of the way full.
Lastly, add in 5-10 drops of each essential oil.
Once all of the ingredients are in the spray bottle, screw in the lid and shake it vigorously to mix all of the ingredients. There you have it! Your very own DIY natural bug spray for home or outdoor use.
Benefits of DIY Bug Spray Ingredients
These ingredients were selected for their effective insect-repellent properties.
- White vinegar contains acetic acid, making it a great pest control tool. It works great for repelling mosquitos, as well as ants and spiders.
- Peppermint oil is a very effective bug repellant. It works against insects, including wasps, fruit flies, gnats, moths, ants, cockroaches, and spiders.
- Citronella oil is the go-to essential oil for repelling mosquitos. Still, it works against other types of insects as well.
- Lemon essential oil keeps mosquitos at bay—along with gnats, fruit flies, moths, and ticks.
- Oregano oil is a powerful herbal essential oil that deters bugs and acts as a natural pesticide for various insects.
- Cedar essential oil also has pesticide effects and is especially helpful for deterring mosquitos, flies, fleas, ticks, and ants.
These essential oils are among the best essential oils for bugs. Combined with white vinegar and water, these ingredients make for a great all-natural bug spray that you can easily make in the comfort of your home.