The liver is one of the most important organs in the body and arguably one of the least understood by most people. Yet, our liver works for us day and night, performing over 500 individual tasks for the body daily. It is truly an incredible organ!
One of the major roles of the liver is to filter out the many toxins we ingest from food and other environmental sources. The liver takes in these toxins, neutralizes them, and makes it so they can be processed and effectively eliminated from the body.
Unfortunately, however, overexposure to toxins can put a significant burden on the liver, causing its function to become impaired. This can make it less efficient at neutralizing toxins, which can allow toxins to build up in our system. (1)
Giving the liver some tender love and care is an important part of maintaining your health, especially in today's world, where we are exposed to more toxins than at any time in human history.
In this article, we will share a simple liver cleanse tea recipe. You can use this tea to cleanse the liver whenever you feel like giving your body a gentle detox or just as a daily liver support tonic.
What Is the Liver?
The liver is a large cone-shaped organ located in the upper right portion of the abdomen, underneath the ribs, and below the diaphragm. It is about the size of a football and weighs around 3 pounds on average. (2)
The liver is involved in many processes in the body and plays an essential role in the digestive system. When broken-down food from the stomach enters the small intestine, the liver secretes bile to help further digest that food—particularly fats. Bile is critical for the digestion and absorption of fats and fat-soluble nutrients.
The liver is also considered the master detoxifier of the body, as it filters and removes toxins from the blood. Almost all the body's blood passes through the liver. As blood passes through, the liver breaks down substances and makes them assimilable by the body. (3)
The liver is an incredibly important organ that is vital for our health. It performs hundreds of different tasks in the body daily, and without it, we could not survive.
Why Cleanse the Liver?
Nearly every toxin that enters the body is filtered through the liver. This is one of the biggest jobs that the liver has, working 24/7 to protect our health. Unfortunately, over time, or if one is exposed to a significant number of toxins, liver function can become impaired. The liver then performs less efficiently and cannot filter all the toxins we consume.
This causes toxins to build up in the body's tissues, which can impair other organ functions and significantly impact our health. Certain herbs contain compounds that support liver function and help it remove built-up toxins. Consuming these herbs for a period of time can help the liver cleanse and may help it restore its normal function.
Best Liver Cleanse Tea Recipe
There are many teas and supplements that can help cleanse the liver. Unfortunately, however, there are also many that can harm it. Herbs are among the greatest causes of drug-induced liver injury. (1) This doesn't mean all herbs, of course. There are thousands of herbs that are used medicinally, with many diverse properties.
Herbs that are of low-quality, are not tested for contaminants, or that contain compounds that stress the liver are the herbs you want to avoid. This is why it is always important to purchase herbs from a quality source that tests their products.
This liver cleanse herbal tea is a simple tea recipe that is easy to make and contains ingredients that are known to be safe and beneficial for the liver. All you need to make the tea is:
- Purified water
- Zuma Nutrition's Liver Detox & Support Tonic
You can use ginger and peppermint tea bags or freshly cut ginger and loose-leaf peppermint leaf in a tea strainer. Both work fine, so use whichever method you prefer.
To make this organic liver cleanse tea, simply:
- Heat up purified water to the desired temperature
- Add ginger and peppermint to your teacup of choice (either tea bags or freshly cut ginger and peppermint leaf in a tea strainer). If using fresh ingredients, use a teaspoon of grated ginger and a teaspoon of peppermint leaf.
- Pour the heated water into the cup over the ginger and peppermint tea.
- Squeeze in the fresh juice of ½-1 lemon.
- Add one dropper full of Zuma Nutrition's Liver Detox & Support Tonic.
- Let the tea steep for 5 minutes, then remove the peppermint and ginger tea from the cup.
- Drink and enjoy!
Benefits of Liver Cleanse Tea Ingredients
This liver cleanse herbal tea recipe is great for liver cleansing and supporting healthy liver function. The ingredients in this liver cleanse tea benefits general digestive health as well. Below, we'll discuss the ingredients of this organic liver cleanse tea in more detail:
Ginger (Zingiber officinale) is a common culinary spice with a pungent taste and aroma. It has been used in Asia for centuries as a digestive tonic and as a remedy for many different health issues. Among ginger's many benefits is the ability to support liver health. For this reason, many people drink ginger tea for liver cleanse and liver health benefits, and it is why we've chosen to add this ingredient to this liver cleanse tea recipe.
The root or rhizome of the plant is what is used medicinally, as it contains powerful compounds called gingerols and shogaols. These have been shown to inhibit inflammation and protect against cellular damage, which may be very beneficial to liver health. (4) Studies on ginger root show that it may also help to protect the liver from toxins. (5)
Ginger is also well-known as a general digestive aid, helping to improve digestion and alleviate stomach discomfort.
Peppermint (Mentha x piperita) is another well-known herb with a variety of culinary and medicinal uses. Peppermint is most commonly used for soothing an upset stomach and supporting digestion. The digestive benefits of peppermint may take some strain away from the liver during the digestive process. More important to liver health, however, is the fact that peppermint contains powerful antioxidant compounds that may help to neutralize free radicals and prevent oxidative damage to liver cells. (6)
It also has a pleasant and refreshing taste that adds to the flavor of the tea.
Lemon (Citrus lemon) is a common fruit with many uses and health benefits. Lemons are high in antioxidant compounds, including polyphenols, flavonoids, citric acid, and vitamin C. (7) Lemon is commonly used in detox programs to stimulate liver flushing. Not only can the many antioxidants in lemon support this, but some studies have shown that lemon juice helps the liver produce more enzymes. Enzymes are essential for stimulating and catalyzing numerous chemical reactions in the body. (8, 9)
Make sure to freshly squeeze the juice yourself from an organic lemon rather than using store-bought lemon juice.
Zuma Nutrition's Liver Detox & Support Tonic
The primary liver-cleansing ingredient in this liver cleanse tea recipe is our Liver Detox & Support Tonic. This formula was created specifically to support liver health and function and contains several therapeutic plant extracts from organic liver-supporting herbs. It may help support liver cleansing and the regeneration of liver cells, among other potential liver health benefits.†
The Liver Detox & Support Tonic contains:
- Olive Leaf: Olive leaf is beneficial for cardiovascular and immune system health and has been shown in several studies to protect liver cells from damage. (10)
- Agrimony: Thiamin, Quercitrin, and Catechins, active ingredients in agrimony, have been directly linked to liver and gallbladder health. (11) These compounds may help protect the liver from injury and support normal liver functions. By optimizing the function of the liver and gallbladder, the body can more easily eliminate toxins, thereby promoting overall metabolic efficiency.
- Milk Thistle: Milk thistle is most well-known for being a natural liver supporter and detoxifier. It contains a compound called silymarin that may help regenerate damaged liver cells. (12) It's regularly used as a complementary therapy by people who have liver damage.
- Chamomile: Chamomile has specific anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, muscle relaxant, antispasmodic, anti-allergenic, and sedative properties, all of which support liver and gastrointestinal health. (13)
- Red Rooibos: Rooibos tea acts as a scavenger to free radicals throughout the body, helping to protect the liver and other organs from the harmful effects of oxidative stress. (14)
- Burdock Root: Burdock root is a well-known blood-purifier and liver-supporting herb. It supports liver detoxification and prevents cellular mutation by blocking dangerous chemicals from causing damage to liver cells. (15)
- Pau d' Arco: Studies on pau d'arco extract show that it has antibacterial, antifungal, antiparasitic, and anti-inflammatory properties. It is also commonly used for supporting liver and immune health and may help detoxify liver flukes, a type of parasite that can infect the liver. (16)
Your liver is an important organ, looking out for your health day and night. When the liver is overburdened due to toxic buildup, it can impair liver function. Since we are exposed to so many toxins in today's world, it is a good idea to support liver cleansing from time to time. This can be done with a gentle liver cleanse tea recipe or by supplementing with our Liver Detox & Support Tonic.
This liver health tea can be consumed daily as a liver support tonic or for a few days or weeks as a gentle liver cleanse.
Of course, if you are concerned about liver health or are seeking treatment for any liver health issue, you should consult your doctor for professional medical advice.